Saturday, February 20, 2010

Pork and Rabbit Rillettes

This Hugh F-W recipe calls for the use of lard which is a surprisingly fun thing to make (refer to previous post) and doesn't stink out your kitchen as one might think it would http://www.channel4.com/food/recipes/chefs/hugh-fearnley-whittingstall/rabbit-rillettes-recipe_p_1.html
The first time I made this I forgot to pour the skimmed juices through a fine sieve on to the shredded meat which would have decreased the calorie content but neglected a lot of flavour. The second time I did not forget and was rewarded ampley. Another note I would make is that if the pieces in the baking tray are starting to brown just turn them over and if you are in any doubt as to wether or not the rabbit pieces are done or not then leave them in a bit longer it really has to be flaking off the bones which saves you a lot of effort when it comes to shredding the meat.

I have eaten rabbit a number of times over the past couple of years this has been by far my favourite way to enjoy rabbit. Apparently the rillettes method can be used with pheasant, chicken, venison anything really.

1 comment:

  1. I had a look at the video and the recipe and it seems delicious.. A shame that it only has a shelf life of 3/4 weeks...

    ReplyDelete